While looking for a summer cheese to make I came across this recipe on the New England Cheesemaking company web site. This is a nice quick cheese that requires little to no no aging.
- 3/4 tsp. Calcium Chloride Liquid (30%) Dissolved in 2 Tbsp. distilled water (if using store-bought milk)
- 3 ounces prepared Mesophilic Culture.
- 3/4 Rennet Tablets (microbial) Dissolved in 1/4 cup distilled water
- 3 gallon Whole Milk Cow plus 1/2 whipping cream (makes it close to what jersey milk would be at 5% fat)
- optional: 3 smoked peppers (chipotle this time)
- optional: any other herbs you like
Cheese making steps:
- Add your calcium chloride to your milk. Then gently stir the milk and heat to 9° F.
- Remove pot from heat. Sprinkle culture over milk surface and let hydrate for 1 or 2 minutes. Gently and thoroughly stir culture into milk. Let sit for 45 minutes
- Add rennet and mix it into milk with an up and down motion for about 1 minute. Let sit for 40 minutes for curd to develop.
- After you get a clean break cut curd into 3/4 inch pieces. It is okay if they are not perfect cubes. Let the curds heal for 5 minutes.
- Slowly heat your curd back to 90°F if it dropped below and keep it there for 60 minutes. Gently stir during the 60 minutes. If you want a drier cheese bring the temperature up to 93-95 during the 60 minutes
- Now slowly pour into your cloth lined colander. If you use your hand to stop the curds from going into the cloth first you will have a faster drain time.
Draining / Pressing time:
- Let the curds drain for at leat 30 minutes.
- mill into small pieces and add 1 tbsp of salt per lb of curd and any seasonings that you want to add into it
- add you curd to the mold and put into the press
- Put the follower on your cheese mold and press at the following .
30 minutes at 3-5 lbs.
- 60 minutes at 8-12 lbs
4-6 hours at 25 lbs
- remove and eat!!! almost like eating squeaky cheese