For Christmas this year my sister got me a mushroom grow box for oyster mushrooms. I have seen these available before but never bought one to try. The instructions are easy to follow.
- Pull tab off of one side of the box
- cut an X in the plastic bag and scrape off the white fungus mat to expose the darker growing medium. (looks like saw dust)
- soak bag in water for 12 hours
- Place plastic bag back into cardboard box.
- place in a spot with good light.
- Mist daily and you will have mushrooms in 10 days to harvest.
It sounds simple enough to do. Also according to the manufacturer of the kit if you share a picture of your grown mushrooms on their facebook page then they will donate one kit to an elementary of your choice. Sounds like a great deal to me.
From start to finish it took 9 days to get them this big. Not bad for a crop of mushrooms. Tomorrow will be cooking day with them. Then I will mist them and see if any more mushrooms grow on this side. If not I will cut the plastic on the other side and start the process again. Overall I am impressed with the ease in which these grow. Katy loved spritzing them with water morning and night.