Lately as I get older it has been a bit more difficult for me to always use the hobie mirage drive for all day. Finishing a day of trolling, and barely being able to walk due to back pain is a bit discouraging. So after some searching I found a build to convert a Watersnake 18 lb motor into a trolling motor that fits into a hobie mirage slot on the kayak. This build looks like it will work on any size of watersnake. But really I cant see the need for a bigger thrust then I currently have. Now for some long ocean trips maybe to deal with the current.
- Watersnake motor: https://amzn.to/37hi3L7
- Dremel tool to cut shaft (a hacksaw would work but be very slow): https://amzn.to/3xwHWl3
- Phillips screwdriver
- Hobie Cassette plug: https://amzn.to/2WQ9yF0 Check the model to the cassette. This on is for the older model
- 3/4″ PVC pipe
- DC Motor Speed Controller: https://amzn.to/2VjKqGb
- 1 inch spade bit
and a couple other links:
Once you are done the set up is ready to go as is. There are several other adaptions that are useful in the long run while using this set up. At this stage you are limited to only the two speeds that are set up on the motor. high and just slightly less then high. Good for going from place to place but way to fast for trolling. At least for my trolling.
Some things to note from my first test run:
- The cassette is made to be put in only one direction and not both. Some rubber pads would be helpful to prevent kick up every time the motor starts and stops.
- I added a DC controller between the battery and motor to give it a variable speed while trolling. (worked perfect for this)
- The clamps on the motor made it difficult to hook to the controller box. They should be removed and some circle ones installed so it can be screwed down. Same with my connectors from the battery to the controller
- Add Volt meter to controller box.
- 21AH battery lasted just over 4 hours of trolling. A 2nd battery will probably be needed at some point.
Shane’s outdoor fun is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com
Since there were some tweaks needed I made a part 2 to better stabilize it. Converting a Watersnake trolling motor for a Hobie outback Kayak part 2
After finishing I found I needed less wires by my feet fo did an in hull wire setup https://shanesoutdoorfun.com/2021/10/06/dc-wiring-a-hobie-outback-to-run-a-watersnake-trolling-motor/